Call it an 'exploration' of sorts

2.26.2010

Pretty much out of the blue, two days ago, I decided to try Veganism. I was a vegetarian for almost two years when I was a teen. I was also slim, had energy, and in pretty much awesome health all around. I can't be quite sure why I got back on the meat wagon- perhaps the lack of family support had something to do with it. It sure is hard living with parents who refuse to serve a single meal meatless for you and who aren't willing to taste the meatless meals you make. I had to do everything on my own... eventually (and sadly), that pretty much meant NEVER eating with my parents again.

It's not extremely important that I USED to be vegetarian, what is important is that I remember how good it felt to eat that way. It is most definitely hard to "re-train" your body completely away from meat, especially if you were eating a lot of meat to begin with. Well, I'm an adult now; I live on my own, I buy my own groceries, I am responsible for my own health, etc. etc. I want the feeling of health back. And, as a challenge to myself, I am taking vegetarianism a bit further... into Veganism. Call it an exploration of sorts; I'm not signing any contracts. I won't promise never to eat a single meat or dairy product again but I will certainly try. And as for animal-tested products - I already DON'T buy them. I am taking a different angle on it this time. This time, I am simply going to challenge myself (and my tastebuds) to find alternatives to my favorite meals, and hopefully learn a bunch of new recipes and help our lovely planet at the same time.

I have commited to a minimum of 3 weeks with at least one vegan meal per day. That's a pretty low set bar. Today is day #3 without meat and dairy products/bi-products!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Unseasoned Vegan Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino